Please note that under the Australian national laws for Chinese Medicine, claims of efficacy of treatment are required to be made with reference to evidence of a high standard.
Traditionally acupuncture has been used to assist a wide variety of conditions, however not all have evidence of efficacy. Fortunately, the quality and quantity of research into acupuncture’s effectiveness is increasing.
For example, based on scientific evidence, Chinese medicine treatment may be able to assist with:
- Management of pain, stress and fatigue related to some autoimmune disorders, in consultation with other treating health practitioners
- Management of pain, fatigue and nausea related to many chronic diseases
- Management of vomiting or nausea arising from chemotherapy
- Pain relief and management
- Chronic pain related to depression by managing the underlying chronic pain
Are you pregnant? Chinese medicine treatment may be able to help pregnant women with:
- Pregnancy related musculoskeletal pains
- Nausea and vomiting
Conditions with strong evidence supporting the effectiveness of acupuncture
The items below have reviews with consistent statistically significant positive effects and where authors have recommended the intervention. The quality of evidence is rated as moderate or high quality. (updated 28 Nov)
– Allergic rhinitis (perennial & seasonal)
– Knee osteoarthritis
– Chemotherapy-induced nausea and vomiting (with anti-emetics)
– Migraine prophylaxis
– Chronic low back pain
– Postoperative nausea & vomiting
– Headache (tension-type and chronic)
– Postoperative pain
Please note that breech baby and moxibustion is not included in this list.
We recommend that you make an appointment to talk with one of our practitioners to discuss how we can help you.